Reading is an area that we are really passionate about here at Kingsley Community School. Our aim is to develop eager confident readers who are familiar with a wide range of genres such as historical fiction, science fiction, mystery and adventure stories as well as non-fiction. We wish to develop independent learning so feel that the teaching of reading is at the heart of this.
AT KINGSLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL PUPILS WILL:
- have the opportunity to read for pleasure.
- have the ability to read aloud fluently and with expression
- develop the ability to read for meaning
- develop the skills required for the critical reading of texts
- be encouraged to read a wide range of fiction, poetry and non-fiction materials
- be taught using a range of strategies including- phonics cues, visual cues, contextual cues, grammatical cues
- be encouraged to listen attentively
- gain awareness of the close links between reading and writing activities