Our reading curriculum meets the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum and is designed to meet the needs and context of our school community. At Kingsley, reading and fostering a love of the written word is central to everything we do. We believe that reading opens the door to learning, enabling children to access the wider curriculum and be successful in all other areas of the curriculum. Our English lessons are centred around vocabulary-rich vehicle texts that have been carefully selected so that the pupils experience a range of texts whilst developing a love of reading and writing. We provide our children with daily opportunities to develop their word reading, language comprehension and to explore a range of texts for a range of purposes. We value reading as a key life skill and are dedicated to ensuring our children become lifelong readers with a lifelong love of books.
KS2 Whole Class Reading
as a planning support for . Steps to read empowers teachers to teach aspects of word reading and comprehension through high-quality fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts.
provides a clear teaching sequence to reading sessions that explicitly teach reading skills and strategies in a cumulative way through evidence-based approaches.
The primary aim of is to teach reading comprehensions skills and strategies explicitly in 4 30 minute sessions per week.
- Is sequenced, coherent and progressive
- Uses language-rich texts for vocabulary teaching
- Includes all elements of comprehension, taught sequentially across an academic year
- Has a clear focus on the skills and strategies needed to be a proficient and confident reader
- Uses engaging texts to promote a life-long love of reading
- Includes poetry, non-fiction and fiction that enhances knowledge learning across the curriculum